In 2021, the NFU launched new livestock and poultry welfare in transport guidance as part of its ongoing commitment to improve animal welfare during travel. Click here to find out how you can protect your animals in transit.
It is important to monitor and investigate the treatment of animal health and welfare.
- Advice and guidance on protecting animal welfare on farms, in transport, at markets and at slaughter can be found at: DEFRA guidance about animal welfare.
- If you suspect concern over the slaughtering of farm animals, contact The Food Standards Agency.
- If you are concerned about the way farm animals are being transported or treated at a livestock market, contact trading standards.
- If you have a farm animal enquiry that is not a welfare issue, contact The Animal and Plant Health Agency.
- If you see an animal on a farm in danger, distress, ill or injured, contact the RSPCA.
Avian Influenza: Find the latest information from DEFRA on Prevention Zones, Disease Control and Movement Controls here
‘How a farm has reduced lameness to 2% in an open flock’ click here to read an article with Farmers Weekly on how a farm ‘reduced lameness from 10% to 2% and cut antibiotic use by 30% by addressing the challenge of operating an open flock proactively.’