Learning from change
It is important to have your business in a position that can face change. During our lives we will be confronted with aspects of change which we may have no other choice than to face head on, such as political change with Brexit or natural change such as climate change, resulting in increased periods of flooding and droughts.
Developing resilience will ensure your business is prepared for the effects of climate change so that you can progress and shift through these tough times. Prior to building resilience you may have been in a position that when faced with a natural disaster your business may have struggled to cope, seeing this change as a bridge that could not be crossed. Instead being prepared within your business for change will ensure that you can confidently face it head on.
Sustainable Farming Incentive
Farmers are being encouraged to take part in the pilot of the Sustainable Farming Incentive – the next step in theGovernment’s plans to reward farmers and land managers for sustainable farming practices. Details of the new scheme have been published this week and expressions of interest for the pilot opened on Monday 15 March.
The Sustainable Farming Incentive is the first of three schemes to be piloted and co-designed. Further information on the other two schemes, Local Nature Recovery and Landscape Recovery, will be shared later this year. More information is available here.
Improved Countryside Stewardship scheme opens for 2022 agreements
- Farmers and land managers are being encouraged to apply for Countryside Stewardship (CS) agreements to help them protect and improve the natural environment. Through CS, farmers can apply for funding to improve their local environment – from restoring wildlife habitats and creating woodlands to managing flood risk.
- CS will eventually be replaced with the new Environmental Land Management scheme.
- More information can be found here.
Government unveils path to sustainable farming from 2021
- The government has unveiled details of its Agricultural Transition Plan and its hopes for the future of post-Brexit British agriculture. Click here to find out more.
- The ‘Path to Sustainable Farming’, sets out more detail on the changes we are going to make, and what they will mean for farmers.
Climate change and farming
The NFU have created info graphic content that showcases farmers net zero ambitions, click here to view.
Climate change – a farming view, click here.
5 ways UK farmers are tackling climate change
- The BBC have outlined 5 ways in which farmers are tackling climate change as they are often at the front line of extreme weather conditions, click here to view.