Avian influenza (bird flu) – From 14 December, there will be a legal requirement for all poultry and captive birds to be housed, or otherwise separated from wild birds. Click here to find out more.
It is important to monitor and investigate the treatment of animal health and welfare.
- Advice and guidance on protecting animal welfare on farms, in transport, at markets and at slaughter can be found at: DEFRA guidance about animal welfare.
- If you suspect concern over the slaughtering of farm animals, contact The Food Standards Agency.
- If you are concerned about the way farm animals are being transported or treated at a livestock market, contact trading standards.
- If you have a farm animal enquiry that is not a welfare issue, contact The Animal and Plant Health Agency.
- If you see an animal on a farm in danger, distress, ill or injured, contact the RSPCA.