Farming diversification can help in modifying the current farm business model into paths that may improve profit and income, as well as improving the quality of life for the farmer. While diversification can have risks and may not be appropriate for everyone, many businesses have found successful and profitable ways of diversifying.
Business start up hints and tips
Caroline Reeves, FCN supporter and part of the Rural Business Hub, has shared some useful tips about setting up a new business venture – including how to build and sustain momentum. This is available to download below:
Have you ever considered setting up a campsite, glamping space, or caravan park on your land?
Pitchup is an online platform which allows visitors to book all of the above at over 5000 sites around the UK, Europe and the Americas.
If you think your farm could host holidaymakers, and you’d like to find out more, visit their website. You’ll find everything you need to know from information on planning permission, to taking payments, to waste disposal, to how such a venture might affect BPS entitlements
NFU Mutual Diversification report 2020
- The NFU Mutual Diversification Report 2020 covers the latest news and case studies on farm diversification projects, click here to view or download below. See also NFU Mutual podcasts and video below.
Building an industrial strategy
- Farming and food and the Industrial Strategy: Strategies for Agricultural Technology (Department for Business, Innovation and Skills)
- Industrial strategy for farming (Defra)
- Farm diversification (NI Business Info)
- Festive diversification – Rural Solutions
Direction on how to make the most of your business
How British farms are diversifying
- CPRE Building resilience through diversification – download below.
Strutt and Parker have outlined: how to avoid the Pitfalls of farm diversification: Click here.
Check out these podcasts on farming diversification
- Farm diversification – ahead of the field (NFU Mutual)
CAAV – using a valuer for diversification – providing advice, grant/finance applications and any planning issues. Click here.