What to do in a flood:
It is important to understand these steps to reduce any damage that a flood could have on your property:
- Prepare a bag that has the necessary medicine and insurance documents that you may need if you had to leave your property
- Check if your house is susceptible to flooding
- If there is any chance that your house may flood or has a history of flooding at the property/in the local area then ensure:
- You are aware of the local relocation routes and centres
- Consider alternatives to carpets – particularly for the ground floor of the house
- Prepare a household flood plan and ensure everyone living at the property is aware of the steps on the plan
- Have the correct insurance in place
- Check flood warnings
- Check with the local council if there are flood plans in place for your area
- Turn off electricity, gas and water
- Move things to safety
- Move family and pets to safety
- Move car to safety if able to do so
- Call 999 if there is a threat to life or if you find yourself in immediate danger
- Keep yourself and your family safe
- Follow the plan you have in place
GOV.UK have created a downloadable pdf with the simple steps to follow when preparing, acting and surviving a flood: click here to view. Download below.
Updated flood warnings for England can be found here .
Red Tractor Assurance have created an emergency plan that you can fill out and keep as a hard or soft copy on your farm, it can then be used as a guide in the case of an emergency. Download below.