Exercising does not mean hours need to be spent in the gym. Alternative exercises can be incorporated into busy farming lives without the need for equipment or great expensive.
FarmWell – Farming Fit
- The main issue around staying fit and farming can often occur when making enough time in your busy day to exercise.
- FarmWell has developed a downloadable resource on staying farming fit, click here to view.
- Download below.
FarmWell – Fit for harvest
- Harvest can be one of the busiest times of the year for arable farmers, ensuring you are physically fit for the season is important for your physical and mental wellbeing to endure this demanding time. Harvest time can involve days sitting on a tractor, so understanding how you can stay healthy while sitting down for long periods of time is essentially for a healthy mind and body.
- FarmWell has developed a downloadable resource on staying fit for harvest, click here to view.
- Download below.
Parkrun is a 5 km free running scheme that takes place every Saturday morning at 9am nationally and internationally. Any ability and age of runner can take part, whether you are a beginner or experienced runner. There are over 6,500 parkrun clubs across the UK, check the website to find out where your nearest run may be:
A more farming based run has been set up by Ben Eagle who hosts Farm Runner on his farm in Essex. Aa 5km run every Sunday for the community to take part in. promoting the mental health benefits of being active through social media promotions under the hashtag #farmrunner
- Twitter handle – https://twitter.com/benjy_eagle
- Facebook – https://twitter.com/benjy_eagle
- Instagram – @farmrunneruk and @muddyrunneressex
12 Week fitness plan
This NHS link guides you through a 12 week fitness plan, of 10 minute daily workouts aimed at integrating exercise and fitness into a busy daily routine: NHS 12 week fitness plan
- It is always important to warm up before exercising, to prevent injury and make the exercises more effective.
- A warm down is just as important to relax your muscles and lower your heart rate.