FarmWork Welfare app – a call to tackle modern slavery in farming, horticulture and food production, click here to find out more.
Extension to the Seasonal Workers Pilot for 2021
- On 22 December 2020, the government announced an extension to the Seasonal Workers Pilot for 2021, with an expanded quota of 30,000 places.
- Click here to find out more.
Seasonal working, modern day slavery and labour exploitation is becoming a growing concern in the agricultural industry. The number of slavery cases is growing within the food and agricultural industry with an estimated 10,000-13,000 people being exploited.
The Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority (GLAA) have written a report, concluding the agricultural industry to be a high risk sector for exploitation and abuse of seasonal workers, including poor wages and working conditions. Click here to view report or download below.
- The Farmers Weekly have published an article on modern slavery in agriculture, click here to view. Revealing the challenges that seem very unique to seasonal workers.
- Farming UK article on modern-day slavery in the UK agricultural industry, click here to view.
Report issues of a labour provider who is exploiting the welfare and rights of workers, click here to view report forms.
- If you think you’ve identified a trafficker or illegal gangmaster call the police on 101
- For advice on how you can avoid employing victims of trafficking and how you can help ensure your supply chain is slave free visit stronger2gether.org.
- If you think you work with or employ someone who may be a victim of Modern Slavery or forced labour you can call a helpline on 0800 0121 700 and talk through your concerns or visit modernslavery.co.uk.